We are Edinburgh University’s Amnesty International Society.
Amnesty International is an organisation of ordinary people from across the world standing up for humanity and human rights. Our purpose is to protect individuals whenever justice, fairness, freedom and truth are denied.
In the past, we have campaigned and arranged events on a range of human rights issues. Such as:
- A solidarity campaign for the LGBT+ network in Russia
- A protest outside the Scottish parliament focusing on Sri Lanka’s human rights abuses
- A public action in Princess Street for asylum seekers’ right to work
- An Equal Love Party on Valentine’s Day
- A ‘Stop Torture!’-stunt in Potterow
- A candle-led vigil to show solidarity with all those suffering from the humanitarian crisis in Syria
- A Scottish Student Conference with talks and panel discussions from various experts within and beyond the university
- And much more…
This year, we are working on three long-term campaigns: Health is a Human Right, Campaign to end Mass Deportation and Detention, and Refugee support and rights in Edinburgh. More information about the focus of each campaign, as well as details about how to get involved, can be found on Facebook. We hope you will support our actions in whatever way you can.
We would love for you to join us in shaping our society! We have our weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 7pm upstairs in the Chaplaincy. Don’t worry if you can’t make it – each campaign has a separate meeting so there are no shortages of ways in which you can get involved. We also hold open planning meetings just before the general meetings if you’re looking to see more of what we do behind the scenes.
There are also weekly letter writing sessions downstairs in the Chaplaincy from 12noon – 2pm on Tuesdays.
Co-Presidents: Jordan McGuire, Raphael Birrell, Shauna McGarry
Secretary: Jennie Joy
Treasurer: Anya Jarmson
IT and Social Media Manager: Allie McGregor
Social Secretaries: Cara Mariam Brodie and Olly Marsters
Welfare Officers: Tilly Lewis and Isabel Leask
Fundraising Officers: Ani Steele and Peta Stamper
Letter Writing Co-ordinator: Jennie Joy