We are Edinburgh University’s Amnesty International Society.
Amnesty International is an organisation of ordinary people from across the world standing up for humanity and human rights. Our purpose is to protect individuals whenever justice, fairness, freedom and truth are denied.
In the past, we have campaigned and arranged events on a range of human rights issues. Such as:
- A solidarity campaign for the LGBT+ network in Russia
- A protest outside the Scottish parliament focusing on Sri Lanka’s human rights abuses
- A public action in Princess Street for asylum seekers’ right to work
- An Equal Love Party on Valentine’s Day
- A ‘Stop Torture!’-stunt in Potterow
- A candle-led vigil to show solidarity with all those suffering from the humanitarian crisis in Syria
- A Scottish Student Conference with talks and panel discussions from various experts within and beyond the university
- And much more…
This year, we are excited to introduce three long-term campaigns: Equal Access, Equalise, and My Home is Not a Bathtub. More information about the focus of each campaign, as well as details about how to get involved, can be found by clicking on the campaigns above. We hope you will support our actions in whatever way you can.
For 2015/16 we hope to continue with these campaigns – as well as entirely new ones.
We’re currently planning to take a motion to Amnesty International UK’s annual student conference in London concerning the increasingly disastrous effect of climate change.
We would love for you to join us in shaping our society! We have our weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 7pm upstairs in the Chaplaincy. Don’t worry if you can’t make it – each campaign has a separate meeting so there are no shortages of ways in which you can get involved.
We also hold weekly letter writing sessions downstairs in the Chaplaincy from 12noon – 2pm on Tuesdays.
Chairs: Harriet Fay, Iona Smith, and Nuri Syed Corser
Secretary: Laura Newton
Treasurer: Adam Knox
IT and Social Media Managers: Raphael Birrell and Adrian Scott
Social Secretaries: Anya Jarmson and Shauna McGarry
Welfare Co-ordinators: Beth Hadshar and Jordan McGuire
Fundraising Secretary: Natasha Ion and Rachel Mellon
Letter Writing Co-ordinator: Anya Jarmson
External Liason Officer: Mathew Nicolson